Friday, May 27, 2005

Case 23: Signify

If what makes an utterly useless object valuable is the emotion it bottles, the memory it conjures, or the idea it represents, what does throwing it away signify?
***
My dorm shelves and cabinets are cluttered with old magazines, long tests, handouts, lab reports, and even scratch paper. Look inside my bag and you will see receipts, bus tickets, directories, print ads, and more scratch paper. And this were collected only during college. Back in our house, I have drawers, boxes, and drums of old stuff from elementary and high school. I have thrown away a lot of it already, but my room and my life still look like a messy pile of old papers.
***
An object with a steady inflation rate probably has sentimental value. However, it may heavily depreciate depending on one's moods.
***
When giving a gift, is it true that it is the thought that really counts? Then, I just hope the price compensates for the thought. It is not that the gift is completely thoughtless (even though I bought it out of a whim), but it is just what it is, a gift. I give gifts depending on how my present budget allows me, and because of that, I hardly give one. So, yours was really a rare case. Usually, I give cheaper gifts with a lot of thought put into it.
***
One day, I may have the reason to throw away that object, and finally grasp what is truly valuable, the person whose emotion, memory, and idea, it tries to signify.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kuya, may alam ka ba tungkol kay Coo ng History 16 at kay Angeles ng History 18 regarding grades, classroom demeanor, teaching style, etc? Pkiemail nalang po ako sa jim_staisabel@yahoo.com. Thanks. =) At kung papipiliin ka, sinong kukunin mo. =)--james

6/7/05, 7:31 AM  
Blogger Xtine said...

hmm. pasalamat nga sila may gift sila from you e kami nga wala. kung it's the thought that counts pala super bawi na kami kaso yun ay if you have thought of us **sniff** anyway, sana may budget ka 12 days from now. Ü

kay james nga pala, ok si angeles. don't know coo eh.

6/8/05, 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home