Monday, February 21, 2005

Case 13: Motivation

When you asked me what was my secret for getting high grades, my answer was this: money, or the lack of it. I do not exactly get paid every time I receive good marks, but I needed to maintain my position in the top to be able to retain my scholarship (since kindergarten). Basically, the only way I could study is to study well.
And because of that, what eventually drove me to excel was this: competition. Ranking first was not only a necessity, it became an obsession. Thus, getting high scores is no longer the issue, but getting the highest scores is. A good rival is a great friend, and vice versa.
As a result of that, what pushes me these days is this: fear. Fear of failure, that is. Nothing is worth doing unless it is something to be worried about. And this mode of thinking gives me problems now. Because, unknowingly, I have lost that fear. And I do not know whether or not I should panic.
Perhaps I have found it pointless to prove myself, because people prefer to stick to their own judgments. And maybe it is useless to improve myself, because people have predetermined my limitations. And that is the end of it. I guess desperation, obsession, and fear are never effective motivations.
Which is a pity, since our lives are pretty much defined by our motivations.
When you heard my answer you probably realized that I would rather have your secret for getting low grades: freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home