Sunday, January 30, 2005

Case 10: Misery Finds Company

The whole idea of group therapy and crab mentality can be encapsulated in the ancient cliché, "misery loves company". I have been feeling miserable for the last couple of weeks, due to stress from cramming reports and papers, juggling overlapping org activities, and dealing with virus infections (both the medical and cyber varieties). What makes it worse is the loneliness that keeps on increasing at an alarming rate.
Sometimes, misery is just too unbearable when there is nobody to share it with. More depressing is when what makes you miserable is the fact that you are lonely. And then, you cannot pity yourself because that would only make you more pitiful.
A proven remedy for that might be looking for someone who is more miserable, or make someone more miserable, than you. Knowing someone is feeling worse momentarily makes you feel better. And that is fine.
The problem is, you cannot stop yourself from doing the opposite. Being with that someone has only made you lonelier than being alone.
Two days ago you asked me your usual stupid question and I gave my earned stupid answer. I was tempted to also ask a stupid question but I stopped myself. I should learn to stop doubting our friendship. It seems that we share more similarities than I thought.
And in some weird way that makes me feel less lonely. Then, I remember I still have to cram reports and papers, juggle overlapping org activities and deal with virus infections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home