Saturday, January 22, 2005

Case 9: The Unbelievable Truth

It is a classic case of the boy who cried wolf. I tell a couple of obvious lies and the third statement, which happens to be true, will also be passed off as a lie. It is often fun to watch you languish not knowing the truth, even if I already said it.
Sometimes, it is just too random. I start off with some secondhand info, patch it up with my assumptions, trim it down with a few understatements, then adorn with some exaggerations. Or, I can tell you what I heard word for word. Usually, you find it easier to believe my version.
Then, I can confuse you by citing references, conspiring with credible people, inserting sarcastic comments and jokes, sandwiching between two far-fetched facts, or by admitting that I am lying. That is enough to keep you guessing for days.
It has become a habit, no, a compulsion. It is yet to backfire, since now it is still working.
There will come a time you will figure it out, which you (regrettably) usually do. Then you might also realize this mechanism's true purpose... or probably not. The truth is out there, pick one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home